Solar System Connection

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
gallf1
deckhand
deckhand

Solar System Connection

Post by gallf1 »

Hi:
I am installing a solar array to keep the house batteries charged while on the hook or extended cruising. My question is should I connect the leads from the MPPT Solar Controller to the existing combiner or directly to the house batteries?

My goal is to keep the house batteries charged to run the Fridge and other small 12v appliances. The gen set and engine batteries would be charged when I crank the engines to move to different anchorages or when I run the gen set for a water maker or to make coffee etc etc

Thx
Felix
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Solar System Connection

Post by deising »

I believe the proper way is connect to the house battery bank. If any of the batteries connected to the combiner (house, engine 1, engine 2) "see" a charging voltage above the combiner threshold, the combiner will close the circuit to apply that voltage to all connected batteries.

We have really enjoyed having our 360W array with MPPT controller.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Our solar is connected directly to the house batteries.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
PDQfan
1st mate
1st mate

Post by PDQfan »

Hi Felix,

I believe we met in the St Aug marina last month.

My guy (marine electrician) wired my controller directly to the house bank. He did so by running the wire to the hose battery switch and connecting to a pole on the battery side of the switch.

Bryan
Bryan & Lori
"Island Time"
'05 MV 34 #74 100hp
gallf1
deckhand
deckhand

Post by gallf1 »

Hey Bryan:
Yes, we did meet in St Aug while I was on-duty that day! Ths for your time then and your info now....it seems that by consensus controller striaght to house battery is the way to go.

Next up....replace/upgrade the Xantrex Pathmaker Isolator to a diode version modern unit.

Thx!
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ONEEYEDJACKASS »

From solar panels to solar controller to main buss. Basically it’s a direct connection to house bank. If you run connection all the way to house battery voltage drop could be an issue.
Mark & Dea Goldsmith
BLACKBIRD
PDQ 34-114
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Good point, Mark. I made the connection to the main bus, which is the same thing but has a shorter run of cable (less voltage loss) to the house bank. Funny how those little details get lost.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade