Aft bench seat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Aft bench seat

Post by Cat Tales »

We lost half of our bench seat - the star board part (stuff you sit on) - during hurricane Wilma. Since my tools are limited with only a circular saw, jig saw and sander, I have a question to those of you who have replaced or added to the bench. Would it be better to purchase a replacement from PDQ, or just fabricate one myself?

Thank you,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

You probably have 3 options..
Buy a router and the correct thickness and size of Starboard and make it yourself

Buy the Starboard and have a wood working shop make it using the other side for a reverse pattern

Buy it from PDQ.

If time is an issue then the second option may be best. I don't think that PDQ maintains any stock of these items... they would have to fabricate it also.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I always wanted to add a rear bench or hammock to my 36. If you take any pictures or have any additional information that you can send to me, I would love to see if I can fabricate one for myself.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Add on

Post by SecondWind »

We would have liked to added a bench too (hull #40), but the traveler on the older boats prevent that. The new boats have a hardtop where the traveer is mounted, but it is a strong structural component, which cannot be easily retrofitted.

We opted for an arch to use as a dinghy lift and a mount for solar panels. We also have a second chair mounted, and use stadium chairs on the sterns. Maybe not the optimum answer, but sailors are adaptive, and we still love our PDQ.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

I fabricated a bench seat for about $400. I used it last summer for three months on a trip from Pensacola to Guatamala. Rather than using the starboard (which is rather heavy) I used prefabricated hollow plastic seats and aluminum brackets manufactored by Invacare, a company that makes shower seats, benches, etc. for people with physical disabilities. The whole things weighs about 100 lbs and is relatively strong. It's tied in with the existing aft rails and supported by a series of stainless tubes that attach to the aft toe rail. My boat is #17, so it has no hard top, etc.

At times, I had four large adults sitting on it (although I was a bit nervous about having that much weight on it, it did fine). I attached nylon netting behind it to prevent items that might slide off the seat from dropping into the drink. I have a few pictures of it I would be happy to share.

I TOTALLY loved having the bech seat, as did everyone else. It adds a great deal more area to the cockpit, you can see forward above the coach roof and catch the breeze usually blocked by the cabin. For my money, its one of the best things you can do for your cat.

I also built an alumn frame to hold two large solar panels and attached it between the davits in a manner that allows the panels to be turned toward the sun as needed. I still use the davits for hanging the dinghy.

Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Bench Seat

Post by SecondWind »

Ed,

What a great idea. I love this forum just for this reason. PDQ'rs are such great inventors that when one of us lacks an idea (myself included) others step up to the plate with great innovations. I might even try your bench seat idea myself.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Ed,

I'd love to see those pics' of the bench.

Marc
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

my bench for a 96 LRC

Post by chicagocat »

Hey guys,
been meaning to post the pics of my installation since I promised to do it this summer. Got the bench fabricated from PDQ (wasn't cheap). I was easy, though. Just dropped it on the boat and bolted it in. Here are the pics:

http://img303.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 2821eo.jpg

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/720/dsc002804rb.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2240/dsc002795by.jpg

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/963/dsc002757qp.jpg
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Ed, I would love to see the pics as well. If you want to send them off list, my email is:

sdensler@mac.com

Please include pictures of the davits and solar mount since I will have to modify the solar arrangement to fit the seat.

Thanks!

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

I'd be happy to email the pictures to anyone who contacts me. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis