small leak in starboard forward cabin

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Went down to the marina over the weekend to check on things. Noticed a small amount of water in the starboard bilge. The thru-hulls appear dry, but the outboard wall of the forward cabin was very wet above the "ledge" (the one where you put coins and stuff) as was the ledge itself. There is a porthole immediately above the wall so my inital thoughts are it is the culprit, but it doesn't appear to be leaking.

Called the factory today and am awaiting their thoughts. In the meantime anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks.
Dan White
Double Eagle II
Hull # 36096
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Dan,

I had some minor water intrusion through the stanchion fasteners. I also had major water intrusion from the starboard lazarette due to rainwater from the lazarette hatch accumulating at the bottom of the lazarette and seeping forward. Lastly I've had a pressure water leak which accumulated in the starboard bilge. These all assume the bilgewater is fresh, not salt.

Water accumulation in the starboard bilge seems to be a common problem on these boats. Please let us know what you find.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Read water under bed thread
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Dan,

Any luck with the minor water intrusion source?

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

water leak

Post by Dan White »

I have not been able to get to the boat yet. With the suggestions you guys made, and some from James Powers, I will get to work on it just as soon as I can and report back. (It may be a while.)

James also suggested the toe rail and the stanchions. He suggested putting paper towels wherever I could when it was raining. Makes sense.

It can't be the fresh water system, as it is drained for the winter.

Chet's suggestion about the lazarette really caught my attention -- I wonder if the factory has sealed that off better in the 86 boats it launched after his? Certainly hope so, as that sounds like a devil of a problem. I wonder how I would fix that?

Thanks to all who responded.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I was FINALLY able to isolate the leak. Got lucky in that we didn't have any rain for most of March and the bilge stayed dry. Thus, that ruled out any leak from the submerged areas and items.
Then I went down during a strong rainstorm and was able to see the water running down the bulkhead that forms the doorway into the forward cabin. The leak was on the forward cabin side of the bulkhead, so I disassembled the wood work and lining and saw water following the cables coming from the starboard running light. Not sure if someone bumped it or what.
Now just have to take that off and re-seal it.
Hope that's the only one.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Thought you would like to know all I had to do was TIGHTEN the starboard running light fixture and the leak stopped.

Thanks again for your help.

Now I have another one coming through the fixed glass on the coachroof -- starboard side. Probably need to re-seal.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

In my last post I mentioned I had another leak -- this one coming from the fixed glass windows. Fortunately I was able to stop it with a bead of windshield silicone that I bought from an auto parts store for about $3.00. I ran the bead along the top of the glass, where the thick sealant meets the fiberglass.

Apparently this kind of sealant has a "penetrating" quality wherein it flows to and seals the leak. So far it seems to have solved the problem.
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

What brand, pray tell.
Don Wilson
Next Exit
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Hi Don
The stuff I used was "Flowable Silicone", product # 75009, made by Versachem.
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Passage Back »

We also have water in the starboard bilge. I suspect the transducer thru hull but have not been able to verify. Will post if we discover anything definitive.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Good luck!
The lucky break I had was that we had an extended period of no rain AND I had drained the fresh water system. Thus, since no water then entered the bilge, I was able to rule out water getting through the hulls. Therefore it HAD to be rainwater. Once I figured that out, it was a matter of going down to the boat during a torrential downpour and following the wet surfaces. Took a while but I finally got it. Kinda fun, in a perverse sense, now that it's over.
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Passage Back »

Thanks for the tip on the running light! (Also to Dick on Catch-22). When we checked the lights, port side screws were not completely tight but starboard side were so loose it was surprising that the light had not fallen out. So far no water since we tightened up the screws but our only test has been washing the boat. Fingers crossed.